Reducing Test Anxiety
A little anxiety about a test is a good thing. It's energizing and makes us focus. But having a lot of anxiety can be paralyzing. You can do the following things to keep enough anxiety to give you energy, but not so much that you cannot focus.
- Plan what you will need to study.
- Plan when you will study.
- Plan to study the materials over several days.
- Study in a well lit area at the same time each day.
- Study in an area free from distraction.
- Study extra sources if possible to enhance your understanding.
- Don't study up to the last minute. You will stress yourself and confuse yourself if you try to cram a lot of information into a small amount of time.
- Don't wait until the day before the test to ask for help from your instructor or tutor. If you are confused about a concept, ask for help right away.
- Make sure to get enough sleep.
- Eat a starch, a fruit and not too much sugar before a test or exam, according to nutritionists.
- Arrive at the test site early.
- Bring extra pencils or pens.
- Bring a backup calculator or backup batteries.