Columbia State Community College’s Center for Economic and Workforce Development is offering non-credit courses during January at the Williamson County Campus in Franklin. Non-credit courses are professional, business, and industry training, as well as “for fun” personal enrichment courses such as painting, aerobics, and photography.
The Medical Coding live lecture course is a 15-week training course that teaches the fundamentals of medical coding, prepares the student for certification and helps them to establish a career in the medical coding industry. This is a growing field and should continue to grow according the Department of Labor and Statistics. The cost of the course is $2,495, which includes books, a one-year membership in the national association and the national exam fees. The class will meet Saturdays beginning January 9 and concluding May 15 from 8 a.m. until 2:30 p.m.
The Certified Evaluation and Management Coder (CEMC™) Credential course involves specialty medical coding in evaluation and management. It will prepare the coder with sufficient experience and expertise in the evaluation and management coding for their Certified Evaluation and Management Coder exam offered by the American Academy of Professional Coders.
The course will include instructions on:
• The three key components with emphasis on Medical Decision Making (MDM) and other subjective aspects of the Documentation Guidelines.
• Rules and regulations of Medicare billing including (but not limited to) incident to teaching situations, shared visits, consultations, and global surgery.
• Coding per National Correct Coding Initiative (NCCI), International Classification Diseases—9th Edition Clinical Modification (ICD-9-CM), Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) Modifiers and both the 1995 and 1997 Documentation Guidelines.
• Time-based coding.
• Risk assessment, including but not limited to the ability to benchmark, identity problematic situations and missed billing opportunities.
• Hands-On Evaluation and Management chart auditing.
The course is preapproved for 2.4 Continuing Education Units by the American Academy of Professional Coders and is led by a Certified Professional Coder with a specialty credential in Evaluation and Management Coding. The fee of $595 includes 24 class hours and a textbook. Class will be held on Saturdays beginning January 9 and continuing through February 27 from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m.
For more information or to register for this class call Columbia State’s Center for Economic and Community Development office at (931) 540-2660.