Photo Caption: Columbia State commercial entertainment students can learn all aspects of the performance industry, including commercial voice, studio recording, songwriting, dance, acting, technical theater and entertainment business. The department also specializes in recording artist development for the aspiring country or pop artist, where they can learn how to build an in-home studio, record demos and improve singing and songwriting skills.
Auditions To Be Held June 2
(COLUMBIA, Tenn. – May 20, 2015) - - - Columbia State Community College’s commercial entertainment program will hold auditions for new students for the fall 2015 semester on June 2 from noon to 6 p.m. Two new students accepted to the program will each be awarded a $500 scholarship.
“I encourage anyone interested in the performance industry to audition,” said Cathy Hudnall, program director and assistant professor of commercial entertainment. “The experience and education you receive in our program will help you develop your talents that will qualify and prepare you to become a well-rounded performer. We will teach you how to audition and showcase your talent so you can have a career doing what you love.”
Auditions will allow 15 minutes per applicant, and all applicants must be 17 or older. To apply for the scholarship, please visit www.ColumbiaState.edu/CEN-Scholarship and fill out the required form. Cathy Hudnall, program director and assistant professor of commercial entertainment will then contact each applicant to schedule an audition time.
Listed are the criteria for each type of applicant who plans to audition.
- Singers: Prepare and perform two contrasting selections of one to two minutes each from the following categories: pop, rock or musical theater. Applicants must provide their own accompaniment on CD. If song is not an edited version, please start audition at beginning of song.
- Dancers: Perform two contrasting styles of dance with musical accompaniment from the following categories: jazz, tap, ballet or hip hop.
- Songwriters: Present two original songs in the following format: Bring a CD of original songs or prepare a live audition with instruments or accompaniment tracks on CD. Applicants may bring someone to sing or play their song.
- Actors: Perform (memorized) one comic and one serious monologue from one to two minutes each.
- Multi-trained Applicants: Applicants who have trained in multiple areas may choose to pick one selection from two different categories: One song and one dance, one monologue and one song or one dance and one monologue.
Auditions will take place in the rehearsal studio located in Room Y128 at Columbia State’s Williamson Campus. The campus is located at 104 Claude Yates Drive in Franklin, off Hillsboro Road, next to Franklin High School.
Columbia State’s commercial entertainment program offers a one-year technical certificate program for those who want to immediately enter the entertainment field upon completion of the program or a two-year degree program for those who plan to transfer to a university and complete a bachelor’s degree in vocal performance, songwriting, dance or commercial music production.
Columbia State is a two-year college, serving a nine-county area in southern Middle Tennessee with locations in Columbia, Franklin, Lawrenceburg, Lewisburg and Clifton. As Tennessee’s first community college, Columbia State is committed to increasing access and enhancing diversity at all five campuses. Columbia State is a member of the Tennessee Board of Regents, one of the largest higher education systems in the nation. For more information, please visit www.columbiastate.edu.
Tennessee’s Community Colleges is a system of 13 colleges offering a high-quality, affordable, convenient and personal education to prepare students to achieve their educational and career goals in two years or less. We offer associate degree and certificate programs, workforce development programs and transfer pathways to four-year degrees. For more information, please visit us online at tncommunitycolleges.org.
# # #