A Step-by-Step Career Planning Method
Self Assessment: Take an inventory
Track Down Information
- Take time to examine your interests, abilities, values and personality characteristics.
- Take the Strong Interest Inventory to explore your interests and see how you compare to people in different professions and college majors. Contact Career Services to get your password.
- Take the MBTI to explore your personality traits and find out what careers might fit your personality preferences. Contact Career Services to get your password.
- Take the Discover online career assessment and exploration tool
Analyze and Evaluate Information
- Gather factual data from web sites and printed material.
- Get career ideas from your Holland Code from the Strong Interest Inventory
- Get career ideas from your MBTI personality type
- Explore web sites on what you can do with different majors
- Explore web sites that describe career specific information
- Talk to professionals in the field you are exploring to get opinion and advice
- Get practical experience through volunteer, part-time or summer jobs
Reach a Decision
- Narrow your options down to your top 3-5 choices
- Weigh the pros and cons of each choice
- Think long term and look for multiple paths to the same career
- Make a decision and choose backup options
- Develop your action plan and implement short term goals