STEP 1: Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the financial aid form required to be considered for all federal and most state financial aid programs.
Applying for financial aid is a free process.
If you are applying for the 2012-2013 award year (Fall 2012, Spring 2013 and Summer 2013), please complete the 2012-2013 FAFSA. The 2012-2013 FAFSA will be available on January 1, 2012. The last day to file the 2012-2013 FAFSA is June 30, 2013.
In order to complete the FAFSA, you will need your prior year tax form (IRS Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ). For example, when completing the 2012-2013 FAFSA, you will be asked to provide information from your 2011 tax form.
There is not a priority deadline for the State of Tennessee, but the Tennessee Student Assistance Corp. (TSAC) advises Tennessee students to complete the FAFSA as early as possible after January 1st to be considered for state grant funds.
If you have not filed taxes for the required year, you may estimate your income. Please be as accurate as possible when estimating.
If you estimate your prior year tax income on the FAFSA, you greatly increase your chances of being selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education. CLICK HERE
for more information on verification.
The FAFSA is an online form. You are filing a federal form and reporting your information to the U.S. Department of Education via a secure government website.
You may list up to ten (10) schools to receive your FAFSA results. If you do not list Columbia State Community College on the FAFSA, the Office of Financial Aid will not get your FAFSA results or award you financial aid.
- Columbia State Community College Federal School Code: 003483
- In order to electronically sign your FAFSA, student and parent will need to apply for a federal PIN number. CLICK HERE to request a PIN.
- To complete the FAFSA, please go to www.fafsa.ed.gov.
- Paper FAFSA are no longer readily available through the Office of Financial Aid. If you wish to file a paper FAFSA, please CLICK HERE.
- To view a tutorial about completing the 2012-2013 FAFSA, please CLICK HERE.